In Propel, you can create a custom object or use an existing Propel object as a Related List that displays records inside another object. So, rather than going to two screens to view related data, you can see them together.
Propel also makes it easy for users to create a new record directly from that related list. For example, you could add a related list to show items related to a project on the Project tab. If you needed to create a new Item, you could do it directly from the Project tab, without having to go out to the Item tab.
This article shows the steps you need to take to enable the ability to create a new record directly from a related list.
Before you begin
There are several things you need to have in place prior to completing the steps below. You need to already have the custom object in place and set it up as a related list on your object. If you’re using a Propel object it will already be in place, but you will still need to set it up as a related list. This means you’ll have a lookup from the custom or Propel object to your object and a field set on your object that determines which fields will display in your related list. For more information on this, go to our Creating related lists for custom objects article.
Enable creating a new record from a related list
- Go to Setup > Custom Code > Custom Settings.
- Select Manage beside the New Fieldset Mapping setting.
- Click New.
- For the Name field, enter the API name of the custom object that will be your related list.
- For the Desired Field Set field, enter the API name of the field set you created for your related list.
- You can optionally enter the API name of the Lookup Field Name and the Lookup Object that the lookup field points to.
- Click Save.
Refresh page layouts
The final step in the process is to refresh the page layouts for Propel objects to ensure everything displays correctly.
- Select the Propel Setup tab from the navigation bar.
- Under User Settings in the Cached Data section, click Refresh Page Layouts.