PIM Product data is designed to support your public-facing marketing information to provide accurate and consistent data across your omni-channel market environment.
For our customers who use PIM and PLM, we recommend using related items to separate the PIM marketing data from the PLM BOM management data. Create different categories for your PIM products than for your PLM items. You can configure a BOM tab on your PIM product that links to the PLM item. This way, you can revision the data separately, assuming you may make changes/updates/corrections to PIM data that are unrelated to PLM BOM related revisions.
For each of your PIM product categories, set the PIM Product flag in the Category Details (Propel Setup -> Admin Settings -> Items).
The PIM Product flag unlocks the SKUs tab and unlimited, localizable Attributes.
Use our SKUs tab for each of your products that have multiple SKUs that are slight variants of the product. In our SKUs tab, you define the the variant dimension values like the supported sizes and colors for the product, and the system automatically generates your SKUs matrix. Otherwise, you can use one item per product without enabling the SKUs tab for the category.
If you support multiple locales, use the Attributes tab. Use the Details tab for data that applies to the whole product and does not need to be localized.
Even if you are only working in a single locale, if you have more than 800 distinct fields across your products, you'll want to use the Attributes tab. Even though each product category may only have 10s of data fields, a broad range of products could result in 1000s of data fields. In that case, you'll want to use the Attributes tab.
- Set-up Locales - if you support multiple locales
- Configure SKU variant dimensions per category
- Configure Attributes per category
- Localize the Attribute labels - if you support multiple locales
- Localize the Variant Dimension values - if you support multiple locales
- Turn on JSON file exports for downstream systems
1) Set-up Locales
- Go to Setup -> Picklist Value Sets, click Locale
- Add New values for each locale your company supports
- Set a default locale
2) Configure SKU variant dimensions per category
- If you will have one PIM Product item that has multiple variants that share many of the same attributes, you may want to configure the SKU tab to generate SKUs that share the same attributes.
- See PIM SKUs
3) Configure Attributes per category
- The attributes apply to the PIM Product item and all the SKUs or product variants. It's possible to overwrite the value of any attribute in the SKU, or use the shared value.
- See PIM Attributes
4) Localize Attribute Labels
- Applies to both variant dimension labels (like Size and Color) as well as the attribute labels (like Features, Warranty, Weight).
- If you configured multiple locales in step 1 AND did either step 2 or step 3, see Localize Attribute Labels
5) Localize Variant Dimension Values
- If you configured multiple locales in step 1 AND SKU variant dimensions in step 2, see Localize Variant Dimension Values
6) Turn on JSON file exports
- When you publish new item revisions, automatically generate a JSON export file to provide to your downstream systems. For example, for channel syndication or integrations to eCommerce site. See Generating JSON Files for PIM Integrations.