This article will explain in detail how to create custom fields on the Projects object. Adding a custom field to a Project requires 4 general steps:
Part A. Create the field on the Project object
1. Go to Setup.
2. Go to Object Manager and select Project
3. Click Fields & Relationships and then select New.
4. Choose a data type for the field and click Next.
5. Enter the Field Label, other required information, and click Next.
6. Click Next again and Save.
Part B. Position the field in the Page Layout
1. Within the Project object, go to Page Layouts and then click Project Layout.
2. Find the new field on the Page Layout (it often lands at the end of the first section) and drag it to the desired location.
3. Save your changes.
Part C. Add the Field to at Least Two Permission Sets
You can see all fields in Propel because you’re a system administrator. But your users can’t see new custom fields you create until you add the fields to a permission set. To add custom fields to a permission set, please follow the instructions listed out in this article: Add Custom Fields to Permission Sets.
Part D. Refresh Page Layouts (Clear Cache)
1. Go to Propel Setup. In Salesforce Lightning, you can find Propel Setup as one of the tabs in the Header or by selecting the App Launcher and finding Propel Setup.
2. Click the Refresh Page Layouts button.