The Propel Import function allows users to quickly and easily add and update Items, BOMs (Bills of Material), and AML data (Approved Manufacturer Lists) in bulk. This article focuses on importing Item data.
A correctly formatted import file populated with correct data is the most crucial element of the Import process. A sample file is attached to the bottom of this page.
Use a CSV or XLSX file to create Items:
- Required Columns:
- Item Number
- Category Name
- Lifecycle Phase
- If you wish to use the auto-number feature:
- Leave Item Number blank, or
- Don't map Item Number column during the Import process
- To import data into a multi-select picklist field, use a semicolon (";") to delimit the values.
- Note that released items cannot be updated directly. If your import file contains an already-released (published) item, Propel creates a new, unreleased draft of the item.
- Open Propel Setup
- Select Import tab
- Select data type: Items
Add and Update
This setting adds new Item records to Propel and updates existing Items.
This setting adds new Item records to Propel. It does not update any Items listed in your import file that already exist in Propel.
Do you want to match item descriptions?
This setting should be used during an "Add and Update" Import. When an Item in the import file needs to be updated but the Item number in the file is unspecified, Propel first tries to match by a combination of Manufacturer/Manufacturer Part Number/Distributor, and if there is no match, Propel tries to match by Item Description. If no matching item exists in Propel a new Item will be created.
Use my last settings
This feature automatically selects the settings used during the last data import. This is useful if you frequently import the same data types.
- Select Next
- Select Drop a file or click here to upload (XLSX or CSV):
- Select your import file
- Map your fields by dragging them from the Item Fields section to the Field Mapping section:
- When all the needed fields are mapped select Next
- Review your import data and resolve any errors or warnings (you may need to backtrack to the Map Headers or Import Settings steps, or adjust your import file and re-upload):
- Select Next
- The Data Import stage displays records created and modified. When the import is finished, you can optionally select Add Items to Change, Import More Data, or click on an Item Number to open it:
1. Items: Add + Update
Items Before and After Import:
100016 (before update):
100016 (after update): Notice that Propel created an Item Draft for the released Item rather than updating the released Item itself:
100021 (before update):
100021 (after update)
2. Combination Import: Item (Add Only), BOM (Add Only), AML (Add Only)
Items created during Import:
Notice that the children listed in the Import File are now listed in the BOM:
The Manufacturer/Manufacturer Part information is listed on the child items. For example: