There are multiple ways to backup and restore data from Propel and Salesforce:
- Salesforce automated backup: Salesforce automatically backs up data per below
- Data export: Customers can export (scheduled or one time) all their data from the Setup menu, including files and Propel data. You can also do this via the Reports feature
- Propel BOM & file export: Propel has XML and CSV export directly out of our system, as well as file attachment export. The file attachment extract is designed to work hand in hand with the BOM export, for giving data to a partner. This is PLM specific functionality.
- Data Loader export: Enterprise Edition customers can export data via Data Loader
- AppExchange: there are multiple apps in the AppExchange that allow customers to back up and restore data
Salesforce Automated Backup
Technically, all Customer Data submitted to the Salesforce Services is stored on carrier-class disk storage using RAID disks and multiple data paths to ensure reliability and performance. All Customer Data submitted to the Salesforce Services, up to the last committed transaction, is automatically backed up on a regular basis and stored on backup media for an additional 90 days after which it is securely overwritten or deleted from the Salesforce Services. Any backups are verified for integrity and stored in Salesforce data centers.
Restoring data can be done in a number of ways:
- Data Import Wizards in Salesforce
- Data Loader
- Salesforce Recovery Service: this is a last resort and costs $10K
Archiving is possible in Salesforce, but it just keeps items from showing up and being worked on. Items still count toward storage space.
For more information, see Salesforce's best practice for data backup and recovery.